Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring

Hell's Mouth and a view of the Llyn Peninsula

Since starting her job calf-rearing on Cefn Amwlch (pron. Kevin Arm-Loch, almost) the NZ-styled, largest and only all-outdoors dairy farm on the LLyn Peninsula, Katie has developed some interesting habits around the house. These include eating four sausages in a sitting, mumbling something about 'stupid calves won't learn to drink' and them collapsing asleep with her face in the mashed potatoes. I, on the other hand, have learnt where to find the blueberries and organic yoghurt at Tescos.


Katie waving hands over some of her flock. This helps calm calves nervous about the effects of strong New Zealand accents.

Those big eyes..


I have yet to manage a photo of one of the many lambings/sheep ceasareans/calvings that have been making up most of my days, partly because I feel a bit stupid getting the camera out, but more often because I have muck all over my hands.



Andy Short helps make the most of a marginal weather weekend in Snowdonia

A better day on Cader Idris. Not Andy Short.
..........................................................................................................................................................................
Plans: Our planned sojourn to a practice in Cornwall fell through after dastardly attempts to extract all sorts of extra money for rent and vehicle use, so I am currently searching for a vet job thru till August at least.
Also.................In Brief/Jamie's Rant......................................................................................................
Problems: The low pound (only $NZ2.48!) and high interest rates in NZ - making sending enough ££s home hard!
Perks: Having a great butcher and pub in our village, and also buying fresh pork and eggs from Ela and Eirian at work.
Peeves: A 'can't-do' attitude from staff in shops, wasting plastic bags, cuts on fingers + surgical spirit
Pleasures: Calves that come out the 'right way', the stream running next to our house, hanging out with Katie


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home