Friday, December 22, 2006

U2, World Peace and other important topics

JF - I went to the U2 concert in Auckland in late November, 24 hrs after arriving back in NZ. I'm a huge U2 fan, but I have to admit I came away from the concert a little deflated. Musically, it was awesome. The band put on an amazing show and sung some of their best songs, with lots of Kiwi references and a plea to "put another tree on that beautiful hill".
The reason I felt so let down was because of the crowd, and their response to anything at all Bono said about AIDS, Africa and peace in the Middle East. If you're a U2 fan you will know they are passionate about this stuff, it's part of the 'heart' of the band and that they actually put their money and time where their mouth is.
Instead there was a 'stunned-mullet' silence when Bono asked the crowd to think about something further away then the Sky Tower, but one guy was moved enough to shout out "Dig a big hole for the black bxxxxds!". Earlier a drunk guy called some Eastern European who annoyed him in the crowd a "Fxxn terrorist!" I felt ashamed to be a New Zealander.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home