Saturday, September 23, 2006

Berliners and other nice buns

NB. A Berliner is a round sugar donut - except in Berlin they call them Pfannkuchen!

Jane and Rory Jones + us


Hachenburg


Katie and her aunt Margaret
Bike tour in Berlin - the Brandenburg Gate


For our week between jobs we decided to fly to Frankfurt and visit some of Katie's family, as well as a trip up to Berlin to look around and meet up with Chch friends Rory and Jane Jones (nee Pascoe) They got married in April and are living in Italy. Rory makes condom-like do-whakies for ventilating plastic rotational moulding machines (!?) and was in Berlin for a Rotational Moulders Conference!!
We took a free bike tour of Berlin with an super-enthusiatic history student from Manchester, it was a great way to get a handle on so many of the important historical spots in the city. You can see him in the pic above, showing us the Brandenburg Gate.
We learnt a lot about the Iron Curtain and The Wall - I'd never realised that the Wall was a big "circle", enclosing the West Berliners, who could only leave by air. I also didn't know that in 1989 when the Wall came down, David Hasselhoff (from Baywatch) performed his (Germany-only) hit single "I want some Freedom" as part of the celebrations. He's hugely popular in Germany - when I had a haircut they asked if I wanted it long at the back "like David Hasselhoff"!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home